Radoš Micheli Vitturi, a nobleman from Kaštel Lukšić, well-known agronomic expert and president of the Agronomic Academy of Kaštel Lukšić raise the first park in Kaštela in the second part of the 18th century. A painting of the Vitturis with an image of St. Roko who holds a park on his palm witness that. The park dates around the year 1760. Today this park is known as the Vitturi Park. It is situated at the seaside in Kaštel Lukšić. The area of the park is 7450 square meters. Time of its raise could be seen from its classicistic frame and the Renaissance-Baroque groves of box-wood (Buxus sempervirens L.).
It was declared a monument of nature and culture in 1968. In the explanation of the Regional Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments was written: "The Vitturi Park with its space and its access from the sea presents a unique monument of our old horticulture. Such parks are rarely preserved in Dalmatia. Due to this fact this park along with Gučetić's at Trstenu, Garanjin's at Trogiru and Borelli's at St. Filip and Jakov is a rare monument of our garden architecture".
Box-wood groves, old specimen of cypress trees, Aleppo pine, Italian stone pine, laurel (Cupressus L., Pinus halepensis L., Pinus pinea L., Laurus nobilis L.) and other plants are preserved even today in the park. Especially interesting are exotic trees like firmiana (Firmiana simplex Bois.) from the cocoa-tree family, scented callicantus and other trees. The garden was uncared for decades. Fortunately, its area is intact and maintained regularly.
Project documentation is needed for restoration of the park. The next steps would be restitution and revitalization of the park. Such a park would become one of our tourist attractions.
Soon after relocation of the primary school in Kaštel Lukšić to the new building in1976, cultivation of completely neglected area around the school started. From the very beginning whole work was done by teachers and students.
On the 4 hectares of land more than 1400 different plants is growing, originating from all over the world. However, most of the plants originate from Mediterranean subtropical climate. The larger part of the park is arboretum built in the landscape style of an English park.
The southern garden the richest part of the school botanical garden due to its size and micro-climate. There are groups of autochthonous and exotic trees, bushes and flowers such as camphor tree, eucalyptus, avocado, acacia, sequoia, cedar of Lebanon, cedar of the Himalayas, jasmine, bougainvillea.
Very interesting is the group of aromatic and medicinal plants, plants of rocky terrains and a field with plants of humid habitats.
There is the "little park" built in the French style at the northern garden. It is built in strictly symmetrical lines with low box-wood hedges and a rich collection of oleanders. There is a stone stage for cultural and artistic events at this place.
Olive grove with its 170 trees and 45 domestic and foreign species of olives is an integral part of the garden. It is the largest collection grove on the Croatian Littoral.
In the year 1189 in Kaštel Novi on the southern slopes of Kozjak a little church of Marija od Špiljana, known today as Gospe Stomorija was built.
At this place where coexistence of nature and spirituality could be felt, the Biblical Garden was founded. Planes, olives, figs and vine grew there for centuries. These are the plants mentioned in the Bible. Due to the effort of the nature lovers many other plants like Jude’s tree, laurel, acacia, spices, aromatic herbs and many other plants. There is a memorial stone, a work of Marko Gugić at the entrance with the inscription: "In memory of the second visit of the Holy Father John Paul II we founded this garden at Stomorija above the bay. People of Kaštela on 27 September 1998. Opposite to the stone which was consecrated by the Holy Father at Split, the Pope's olive was planted.
Terrace-like area called Jidro is to the north of the church. There, under old olives is the Column of Stone Megaliths honoring the great men of Croatia who were inspired by the Bible in their work – St. Jeronim (translation of the Bible into Latin), Juraj Dalmatinac (builder of sacral objects), Marko Marulić(poem "Judita" etc), Bartol Kašić (translation of the Bible into Croatian) and Ivan Meštrović(sculptor of Biblical themes).
Noah’s Ark, a wooden sculpture on an islet in the creek, work of the renowned artist Vasko Lipovac, would greet every visitor.
Gospina njiva could be accessed by stone Way of the Cross, where the Stations are represented by bushes of fragrant myrtle and where is the Cross of Life, a work of the sculptor Kažimir Hraste.
There is a lookout with a beautiful view at the Field of Kaštela and the Bay of Kaštela. A small vineyard as a monument of the peasants and vine of Kaštela was planted at the lookout. Among other indigenous species of vine there is the Kaštelanski Crljenak, known worldwide and especially in California (USA) as Zinfandel. The vine from United States originates from Kaštela.
Due to the efforts of the municipal administration to renew town parks and devotion of local organizations to balance needs of life and environmental protection, the town of Kaštela was awarded the bronze "Entente Florale" award by the European Association for Flowers and Landscaping from Bruxelles in the category of towns.